Friday, December 10, 2010

Is the University of Memphis a Safe School?


Is the University of Memphis a Safe School?
I am applying to graduate schools throughout Tennessee, and I would really like to know just how safe the University of Memphis is. I have told everyone I know that I am going to apply there, and they quickly retort with some sort of negative comment. Their English M.A. program looks great, but I don't want to die while trying to further my education. If anyone can give me some perspective on this issue, I would truly appreciate it.
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I went there for a year (lived in Germantown, TN since i was 3 until last may). I lived on campus in Rawls Hall on State Street nearby the Tiger Den and Fed Ex building. There were a lot of rapes that happened while I was living there. Girls would walk out to their car (parked RIGHT across a not-so-main street in front of Rawls) And there a guy would attempt to rape them, etc. I only recall one or two actual rapes from there, though. I was studying in the library late one night, and a girl was stabbed just in front of the library. She was even walking with a group of people, and there were other people around. The guy ran up and grabbed her purse, and stabbed her and ran off. A lot of car jackings happen around there, too. I drove back to campus one night and saw one happening. There is Tiger Patrol, too (they drive golf carts around the campus, and offer rides to people.) you can call them at a certain number and they will come get you where you are. However, it's not THAT safe. They also break down a lot (the golf carts) and it turns into "Tiger WALKING Patrol" which doesn't do ANYTHING to help you really. There was a murder of a football player in campus apartments just last year. And there was another murder at the end of last year, too, i believe. There is a lot of crime around there. But that's just how Memphis is. The government is corrupt. Everything is going downhill FAST. It's decently safe, though. Surprisingly (after what I have told you). Although, I DID buy a 4" knife just in case. I carried it everywhere with me. Mace is good to have on hand, too. You can only carry knives up to 4" long on campus. Here is the University's site where they post all of the crimes on campus: http://bf.memphis.edu/police/incidents/ AND http://bf.memphis.edu/police/psa.php I hope this helps. I moved to Oklahoma for Photography school and to get out of that area. Even Germantown is showing evidence of becoming a bad area. It'll probably be just like Bartlett in about 5-10 years. It's unfortunate. Memphis is a beautiful place. Lots of history. Best of luck on your education.

Popular Posts