Saturday, June 18, 2011

Question about the FAFSA, TN residents preferably?


Question about the FAFSA, TN residents preferably?
Ok, so I'm a high school senior getting ready to graduate in May and am preparing to fill out the FAFSA. I'm the oldest of 3 and so my parents and I really have NO idea as to what to do. I know there's that website and all, but that doesn't change the fact we don't know what to do. My dad is saying the he won't get all his W2 forms and such until at least February and the deadline for an financial aid that my school offers is March 1st. U of Memphis just to clarify. Also, I'm not sure how much, if any, aid I qualify for. My parents have both said to forget about any aid because of how much my dad makes, but right now we can't even afford for me to take a couple Dual Credit classes at my high school. I know I've already got a $3000 academic scholarship lined up at Memphis and the HOPE scholarship when I get it (I live in Tennessee) which will be $7000. Overall, I'm pretty lost when it comes to figuring out what to do. HELP PLEASE!! I REALLY DON'T WANT TO MISS OUT ON SOME AID
Financial Aid - 2 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
It will be okay if you wait for dad to get his W2 forms, but you need to def get it submitted before that March deadline. Aim for Valentines day (prod your parents to do taxes early). It will be well worth the effort to fill it out, even if you don't qualify for any grants most scholarship programs require you to fill it out anyway and it is how your school will issue you an award letter. Here is a good publication.


2
The fafsa will ask "are you going to file an income tax return". Your parents can answer this question yes, estimate their income and you can file the fafsa to meet the state deadline. Once the tax return has been completed, you should do a correction/update to the correct information. Your father should not automatically assume you will not qualify for aid and I strongly encourage you to apply-and make the state deadline.




Popular Posts