Saturday, February 12, 2011

I am applying for Medicaid and food stamps will the father of my child be placed on child support?


I am applying for Medicaid and food stamps will the father of my child be placed on child support?
I am a nineteen year old girl and I stay in Memphis, Tennessee. Right now however I am in Jackson, Tennessee where I currently attend school. When I went to the health department in Jackson I applied for Medicaid, WIC, and food stamps. I applied for Medicaid because right now I am under my dad's insurance but after my baby is born the baby will not be covered. I heard that if I apply for Medicaid that my baby's father will be placed on child support? If so why?
Parenting - 16 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Not true. You have to file for it.


2
Yes, the state will take him to court for reimbursment, balance going to you.


3
Because someone has to pay for that baby and it may as well be the parent instead of the rest of the citizens.


4
if ur babies daddy is around helping out already dont worry about it. otherwise its a good thing. all u need is his name and social security and they got him..im not sure how the whole process works because im married to my babies dad...he supports us anyways. i do have medicaid for myself and my baby and the baby im about to have...i didn't see anything while i was filing paper work about child support. they only ask u if the father of the child lives with u. where he lives. what his name and SS# is. i live in Texas..i cant imagine its that different in Tennessee. i think that child support may be a different thing from medicaid entirely. i think that they have to do a paternity test ..usually the father of your child is served a mandatory subpoena to court and asked to take a mandatory paternity test. and i think u have to have a lawyer to do that..but im not sure. its definitely something u should ask one of the people at the health and human services commission in your state. the phone number is 2-1-1 here.. im sure they have something similar in Tennessee.


5
They make you file for child support. If you don't then you can lose the medicaid and food stamps because you didn't follow through. It the state law that you get government assistance then you have to file for child support. Then the father have to pay child support that also helps medicaid pay some of the child medical expense that your child going to need. I am mother that on medicaid and food stamps and I had to file if I didn't would lost them.


6
If you live together (and have proof, like a lease with both of your names) then no, he doesn't have to pay child support. If you do not live together, regardless of the reason why you don't live together, the state will go after him for child support. If the state has to help support your child then the dad does too. If he pays say, $250 per month in child support, $175 may go to you and the rest goes to the state to reimb them for your foodstamps and medical and stuff.


7
He will be responsible for the medical, because the state is paying it and have to get their money back. And it is the fathers responsibility to carry insurance on the child.


8
Help pay for the baby and his/her and ur needs.


9
Medicaid and Wic has nothing to do with the father, but if you apply for food stamps then he's gonna be put on child support. I'm not sure why they do this. Also if you apply for food stamps they're gonna make him take a DNA test before they make him pay child support. My friend tried this and she was denied because the guy she thought was the baby's father. I think they do that because they think if you can't pay for food then you must need help paying for other things. Maybe the law is different down here in the State below you but I don't think it would be.


10
The state will have their own case against him for reimbursement. It is your choice if you want to file for child support that is directed toward you. I don't get Medicaid or food stamps but I did file for child support long ago. Then I realized it was pointless, and had the case dropped.


11
Yes they will go after him. Not only will he have to pay child support but the money you get from the state for the child he has to pay that back.


12
Yes he will be put on child support. The reason is that you are unable to completely support the child on your own or you would not need help and since you need help it should be him giving the help not the taxpayers. Dont get me wrong - go get them if you need them. Food stamps help sooo much. But yes he will have to start sending you some money and face it, you need it.


13
maybe and maybe not. my dad moved out and my mom had to get medical assistance for my 2 brothers and i. she also got food stamps. my father has never had to pay child support. he has never been told by the state that he has to.


14
Because the parents of a child should be the ones providing health insurance and food and clothing. His child support will reimburse the tax payers for the baby's insurance he is not providing.


15
Kinda, you will file a paper with the welfare office and they send the form to the child support office. The father will be responsible for the medical costs used. I'm not sure if he has to pay 100% of what you use or just part. They make it a requirement that you fill the paper out so they can go after the father for the cost. You ask why, it is because someone has to pay for it. The taxpayers, people who work, pay extra taxes and pay increased medical insurance rates in order to pay for you using the medicaid. The county tries to take that burden off the taxpayers and have the father pay because the baby is his and not the taxpayers. He (and you) have the ultimate responsibility not the taxpayers. Taxpayers have their own kids to pay for. A lot of people pay almost $1000 per month for their family to have health insurance and these are not rich people they are people making about $3500 per month.


16
In most states, if you apply for benefits, t he state will go after the father to pay them back for what they give you. You wont get the money, the state will.

Popular Posts