Sunday, April 10, 2011

Will my truancy charges be cleared? or what?


Will my truancy charges be cleared? or what?
Hi. Last thursday I had two essays to write for AP English, I decided to not do them and to skip the next day. None of my friends wanted to skip that day, so I was on my own. I parked on a new neighborhoods street and slept all day. I was woken up around 12 by the Shelby County Sheriffs Department, charged with truancy, given a juvenile summons, and taken to my school. I was given three days of out-of-school-suspension. I am a straight A student, in AP and honors classes. I am rank 22 of my class of 600, havea 4.4 weighted GPA, 25 ACT. Actively volunteer in my community. And I also hold a job at Schnucks grocery store working 25 hours a week. I also play rugby for a local club team. Last year i had ~15 excused absences from school. I have no past charges of any kind. Now, I give you my life story to ask you this: If i bring say my report cards and work attendance report and argue that "I am a good kid, that made a really stupid mistake," do i have a likely chance of the charges being dropped? If not, what punishment should I expect, for me and my mother. Btw, I live in memphis, tennessee. Ive tried searching for similar cases/scenarios but i have been unsuccessful, thanks in advanced. Should I ask my teachers and choaches to write me umm.. recommendations or something similar that are in my favor? @patticharron "The fact that nobody skipped with you is irrelevant. I find it interesting that you include these details." It was just part of me setting the scenario. I dont think ill bring a lawyer. . I see your standpoint somewhat, however, I do not see it being negative to show a good report card. Of course i wont brag as much as i happened to do in this question. I asked the officer at my school, he said to bring my report card. I asked my coach whom is a TBI agent, and he said to bring the report card. These people are part of the law enforcement, so their judgement/opinions seems to be more reliable. If you dont mind me asking, do you have some sort of qualifications/past experiences for me to go with your suggestion?
Law & Ethics - 2 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
If this is your first offense, then argue the "I'm a good kid who makes good grades and I made a stupid mistake" defense. They'll let you slide this one time.


2
I always find it interesting when someone posts about something incredibly idiotic s/he did and then follows this with a long list of his/her credits, accomplishments, accolades and lack of a criminal past. Get a lawyer. Go to Court and plead stupidity. Instead of pointing out what a great kid you are, focus on the fact that you made an inordinately stupid decision. The fact that nobody skipped with you is irrelevant. I find it interesting that you include these details. Here's the short version of what you did: I made a stupid decision to skip school because I had not done my work. I don't know what got into me. I behaved badly and I regret my decisions. That's what I recommend you tell the Referee or Judge. Do NOT point out what a "good kid" you are. That is a judgment call and it is not for you to make. Stick to the facts, which include your stupid behavior. I am very familiar with the Memphis Public School System. Given what the judge sees day in and day out, I think you have a good chance of skating on this one. However, if s/he is fed up by the time it's your turn, that's another story. If you go with a lawyer, your case will be heard earlier. If you go on your own, you will sit until the end.

Popular Posts